Synergy: The Journal of Contemporary Asian Studies is currently recruiting for the 2017-2018 academic year. We are looking for highly motivated and academically rigorous applicants who are committed towards moving the academic mandate of the Synergy Journal forward. Positions available at this time include various editorial positions in Southeast Asia and South Asia section.
Deadline: 18 May 11:59PM
Our editorial committee is divided into 3 sections according regional interests: East Asia, Southeast Asia, and South Asia.
A copy-editor is required to review the submissions approved by his/her sectional Lead Editor. The copy-editor’s edits must strictly follow Synergy’s Submission and Editorial Guideline.
- Must be proficient with APA citation style
- Must be familiar with Synergy‘s Submission and Editorial Guideline
An event reporter is required to attend an event assigned in weeks advance. Synergy requires event reports to be finalized for publication a week after the event.
- Past experience in writing or news reporting is an asset
- Must have a solid academic background on the political, economic, and/or social phenomena of the desired regional section (i.e. if you want to be in the East Asia section, you must demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge on the current affairs of the East Asia region)
- A typical event reporter at Synergy reports on one event per month. However, this may vary according to the event schedules.
Contributors at Synergy are expected to submit a piece of content on a bi-weekly basis pertaining to their regional section. A contributor may choose to work on either:
- A short biography of (preferably lesser-known) contemporary actors (500-750 words)
- A short summary of contemporary events (500-750 words)
- An interview Q&A with a prominent figure pertaining to the contributor’s research interests (i.e. an interview with a diplomat, heads of NGOs, public representatives, professors, etc.)
Contributors are expected to add a personal opinion in their submissions.
Please submit all 3 items listed below to email@example.com, with the subject line “Synergy Journal Application: [Name of Section Applying]”. Requests for interviews will be sent shortly after based on application rigour to determine your placement.
- Resume (PDF or Word file) highlighting your relevant past experiences and assets tailoring towards the position(s) that you are applying.
- A short English language writing sample (less than 200 words) in any topic or discipline.
- Answer to the question: “Why would you like to join Synergy? What can you bring to Synergy?” (100 words max.)
We look forward to your submission.